To the MK Movement Community, we all hope you have had a fantastic holiday period and are as ready and as excited as us to hit the ground running in 2023.
We all know that between December to February in Melbourne and the majority is hot (when it’s not raining of course). Here are some simple tips and tricks to stay active when the weather is hot to keep you on track to achieving some more goals in 2023 and beyond.
1. If you can exercise outside of peak periods of the heat. Either try and get up early and exercise before 10 am or exercise later in the day when the sun has gone down around 8 pm onwards. This will avoid you from exercising in the hottest periods of the day and still completing some of your exercises throughout the hot weather.
2. Make sure to have a wet towel, drink bottle and a fan present when you exercise. These will all help to keep your body temperature from overheating and able to exercise without the risk of dehydrating or feeling unwell.
3. Reduce the amount of exercise you are completing. When the weather is hot even completing some exercise is going to be hard. If you are someone that completes longer periods of exercise, shorten them. Maybe only complete 10-20 minutes max at a time to allow your body to stay adequately cool and prevent overheating. Some exercise is better than doing none.
4. Consider swapping your exercise to another location or facility. Maybe instead of walking outside in the heat maybe go for a walk around the shopping centre. Maybe instead of exercising at home, maybe go for a swim or do some light exercise in a pool where it’s a bit more exercise friendly with the temperature.
5. Stay hydrated. Make sure when it is hot you should be drinking at least 2-3L of water when it is quite warm regardless of whether you are exercising or not. This will assist with regulating your temperature, preventing headaches and preventing you from feeling unwell.